Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Apple hooking in progress

I started a new class this week so I didn't get to start this piece as soon as I had hoped.  I have eight students this session all who are very talented and take on projects that are very challenging.  I'll post some pictures of their efforts soon.

So, here's the beginnings of my apple. 

I ended up pulling strips from my leftovers rather than cutting up new swatches for such as small piece. Hopefully, I'll be able to find all the values and colors I need.  It's more of a challenge this way. 

I often have students who want to do more artistic small pieces and have to tell them that in order to do the piece justice they need to have acquired a stash of leftovers from several pieces in order to do this.  It is very hard to dye for a painterly piece because you need to use a large array of colors and values. A lot of bits of this and that.  I really got spoiled taking the painting workshop and being able to immediately mix up my color as I needed it.  Hunting down the right value and color out of my bin of strips or having to go and dyeing something is a lot more time consuming.  Ya gotta love this craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment