Saturday, February 19, 2011

Painting to rug hooking

My experience with oil painting was enlightening.  Being able to blend the paints and immediately apply them, and not have to go to the dye pot and all the time it involves, was refreshing.  I encourage all you rug hookers out there to try your hand at painting.  Mixing the colors gives you a feel for how they interact in a more timely fashion.  The knowledge you gain here than can be applied to your dyeing.

I want to show you one of the paintings I did. Considering I have never oil painted before and only dabbled with acrylics, in another lifetime, I was quite pleased with myself.


She had us use very loose brush strokes, which were a challenge to me as I kept wanting to blend.  I do think the strokes add character and I do like the effect.

I'm so intrigued that I think I'm going to attempt to rug hook the piece.  Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love that. It's hard to believe you've never used oils before. That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete